As a treasurer you are responsible for overseeing the management and accounting of the Area Team and/or Chapter finances. You work closely with Chairs of the Area Teams and/or Chapters.
- Must be 25 years or older
- Proficient in working with numbers
- Possess working knowledge of excel
- Familiar and comfortable with working with online and digital tools
- Willing to utilize online tools that are provided as part of the Field Finance process
- Maintain accurate records that include all income and expenses in compliance with IRS regulations and with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Responsible for the appropriate use of co-support and locally raised funds, in accordance with the spending guidelines outlined in the Treasurer Manual and section in Help & Learning
- Team Treasurers and Chairs have the sole authority to approve transactions are and are responsible to ensure that there are no unauthorized withdrawals from Team bank accounts
- Responsible for the timely submission of a complete financial package to the Field Finance team as specified in the Treasurers Manual and in the following section in Help & Learning
- Manage specific aspects of banking relationship and under the direction of the Field Finance staff
- Ensure that spending is within reasonable limits and/or within the Team’s established budget
- Support the financial goals of AFS-USA, which may differ from time to time depending on business needs. Such goals will be communicated as necessary
- Work as a team with staff in Finance and Field Staff.
Information You Need to Know
Here are links to the sections in the Help & Learning Center with the information you need to know as a Treasurer
- Managing Finances
In this section you will find all the articles you need to know about managing you team’s finances and accounts
- Staying Compliant
In this section, you will find articles related to AFS insurance and how to obtain a certificate of insurance when needed
- Field Finance Forms
In this article, you will find all the financial form for your team and/or chapter
This information is also available in the Treasurers Manual.
New treasurers can receive one-on-one training from the Field Finance staff. Your Regional Field Staff is also a training resource for you.