AFS-USA volunteers must "re-register" annually. As a reminder volunteer registration ensures you:
- Are covered by AFS insurance policies when performing your volunteer role
- Meet state and federal laws regarding work with international youth
- Will be supported in your volunteer role
- Will have access to Global Link and MyAFS
Volunteers receive an email from AFS-USA 30 days prior to your registration expiration date. In addition, you can check your registration status in MyAFS in the "To Do" widget. See screen shot below:
Steps to Volunteer Re-Registration
- Follow the link in the reminder email to login to your Volunteer Application or go to MyAFS and click on the link "Renew now"
- Review and update your information in the Volunteer Application including e-signing the Volunteer Agreement.
- Submit the Volunteer Application.
- Volunteer Registration staff will review your volunteer application and send you an email with directions on how to complete the annual criminal background check.
- Consent to the annual national criminal background check.
- Volunteer Registration staff will email you that your volunteer registration is renewed for the year when all requirements are met.
Special Re-Registration Requirements
Volunteers returning to AFS after more than two years: Please provide new personal references when updating your Volunteer Application.
Volunteers without a Social Security number: Require an international search form, which can be found on the confidential tab of the Online Application. Background checks will take longer, up to six weeks to complete.
Compliance Requirements: For some applicants, additional review may be necessary.
Completing an application for volunteer registration does not mean that you have been registered. Applicants will receive a confirmation email indicating completion of the registration process. AFS-USA has the right to determine the suitability of each applicant.