What is AFS-USA's role in the NSLI-Y and YES Abroad interviews?
How are AFS volunteers and teams involved?
What are the benefits to a team?
Who do Volunteers go to for help during the interview season?
What is the NSLI-Y and YES Abroad Application and Interview Schedule for the 2017-2018 program year?
- AFS-USA is one of several implementing organizations for both the NSLI-Y and YES Abroad scholarship programs, and is responsible for coordinating and conducting the in-person interview events and interviews for NSLI-Y semi-finalists and YES Abroad applicants.
- For specific information, including resources and training on the NSLI-Y and YES Abroad interviews, go directly to this site (this is a private page on AFS Help & Learning and will require you to use your GL login and password): PRIVATE NSLI-Y and YES Abroad Interview Information and Resources. How are AFS volunteers and teams involved?
- AFS volunteers and teams are asked to coordinate and host the interviews in their team.
- Unlike interviews for other AFS programs which are managed on a rolling basis, the NSLI-Y and YES Abroad program interviews are grouped together in December and January, often in-person and typically conducted in one day.
- Not all teams participate in these interviews. The teams that are asked to support the interview event are based on the distribution of applicants in the U.S.
- Teams are asked to designate a volunteer/s as Interview Event Coordinator/s, responsible for planning and executing the interview event. The Event Coordinator/s is responsible for:
- Securing an interview date and location
- Recruiting volunteer interviewers, who must be registered AFS volunteers, at least 19 years of age and complete an online training process
- Communicating with NSLI-Y and YES Abroad applicants and their families/guardians to invite and confirm their interviews
- Ensuring that all the interviews are completed, logged and sent to AFS for processing
- Submitting expenses related to conducting interviews, which are often reimbursable
- The NSLI-Y and YES Abroad interviews are an opportunity to engage new volunteers as interviewers. Generally, it is a one-day event that involves a comprehensive training and is done in a group setting
- It is a great way to integrate and engage NSLI-Y and YES Abroad program alumni and YES program host students in the area. Program participants and alumni are great resource for the applicants and their families who have lots of questions
- The semi-finalists represent some of the top students in the area and the interview event is a wonderful opportunity to showcase study abroad and hosting opportunities not only to the applicants but also to their families and/or guardians
- Every year, the Sponsored Programs Department hires a group of Seasonal Interview Coordinators (SICs) who are based in the National Office, are organized by region to support AFS Teams and Volunteers plan and execute the interview events. You can contact these coordinators at NSLIYinterviews@afsusa.org
- Team Development Specialists are also available as a resource to help the Interview Coordinator identify and secure a date and location for the interview event.
- November 2, 4:00PM Eastern Time: NSLI-Y application deadline
- November: NSLI-Y applications are evaluated by American Councils for International Education, and interview candidates are selected
- Mid-November: AFS Seasonal Interview Coordinators are hired and begin contacting TDS and Area Teams to discuss the coordination of the interviews
- December 5, 11:59PM Pacific Standard Time: YES Abroad application deadline
- Early December: A list of NSLI-Y semi-finalists and YES Abroad candidates will be available in Excel format (contact the Seasonal Interview Coordinators if you would like access to this information)
- Early/Mid December: Interview candidates will become visible in Global Link to AFS volunteers.
- December 30: All Area Team interview planning should be complete and details communicated to SICs
- January 3: All candidates should be contacted to schedule an interview by this date.
- January 6-7, 13-14, 20-21: Ideal weekends to complete remaining NSLI-Y and YES Abroad interviews
- January 31: All Interviews should be completed by this date.
- Finalist notification timeline:
- NSLI-Y finalist notifications are sent on a rolling basis beginning in mid-February; all semi-finalists will be notified about their status by April 30, 2017. NSLI-Y summer finalists have one week to accept or decline their scholarship, while NSLI-Y academic year finalists have two weeks.
- YES Abroad finalist notifications are scheduled to be sent on a rolling basis in March, 2017. Those candidates selected as finalists will receive their country placement at that time. YES Abroad finalists typically have two weeks to accept or decline their scholarship