What is AFS-USA's role in the NSLI-Y and YES Abroad interviews?
How are AFS volunteers and teams involved?
What are the benefits to a team?
Who do volunteers go to for help during the interview season?
What is the NSLI-Y and YES Abroad application and interview schedule for the 2022-2023 program year?
- AFS-USA is one of several implementing organizations for both the NSLI-Y and YES Abroad scholarship programs, and is responsible for coordinating and conducting interviews for candidates. Interviews for the 2023-24 application cycle will be conducted in-person or virtually.
- For specific information, including resources and training on the NSLI-Y and YES Abroad interviews, go directly to this page, a private AFS Help & Learning page (which requires you to use your GL login and password): PRIVATE NSLI-Y and YES Abroad Interview Information and Resources.
- AFS volunteers and teams coordinate and conduct individual and group in-person and virtual interviews in their team and region.
- Teams are asked to support the interviews project based on the distribution of candidates across the U.S.
- Teams are asked to designate a volunteer(s) as Interview Coordinator(s), responsible for planning and executing the interviews project. The Interview Coordinator(s) is responsible for:
- Recruiting volunteer interviewers, who must be registered AFS volunteers, at least 21 years of age and complete an online NSLI-Y/YES Abroad interviews training process. (Staff can assist with volunteer registration, as needed.)
- Scheduling interviews based on interviewer and candidate availability during the interview season, typically December through February.
- Maintain contact and update the interview season staff at the AFS-USA office regarding volunteer availability and interview scheduling.
- Ensure that all interviews are conducted and that completed interview forms are submitted to staff within 72 hours of the interview.
- The NSLI-Y and YES Abroad interviews are an opportunity to engage new volunteers as interviewers. Interviewers can choose their schedule and can choose how many interviews they would like to conduct.
- It is a great way to integrate and engage NSLI-Y and YES Abroad program alumni and YES program host students. Program participants and alumni are great resource for the applicants.
- Every year, the Sponsored Programs Department hires a group of Seasonal Interview Coordinators (SICs) who are organized by region to support AFS teams and volunteers to plan and execute the interview events. You can contact these coordinators at NSLIYinterviews@afsusa.org
What is the NSLI-Y and YES Abroad application and interview schedule for the 2023-2024 program year?
- November 3, 4:00PM Eastern Time: NSLI-Y application deadline
- Extended to November 7, 4:00PM Eastern Time
- November: American Councils determines which NSLI-Y candidates shall be interviewed.
- Mid-November: AFS Seasonal Interview Coordinators are hired and begin contacting the field to discuss the coordination of the interviews.
- December 7, 5:00PM Eastern Time: YES Abroad application deadline
- Mid December: Interview candidates will become visible in Global Link to AFS volunteers. NSLI-Y academic year candidates will be the first available, followed by YES Abroad candidates.
- December - February 1: Interviews for the 2022-23 application cycle will be conducted in-person or virtually.
- February: Finalize all interviews. NSLI-Y summer and NSLI-Y academic year interviews will be finalized by February 1.
- Finalist notification timeline:
- NSLI-Y finalist notifications are sent by American Councils on a rolling basis with all notifications to be completed by April 21, 2023.
- YES Abroad finalist notifications are scheduled to be sent on a rolling basis in March 2023. Those candidates selected as finalists will receive their country placement at that time.