The AFS-USA Travel Department will communicate with every Team and work with the volunteers in coordinating and planning the departures of the host students from their host communities to the gateway airport where they will start their return travel back home.
It is important to note that our host students may have different departure dates from the Team depending on their program. For example, our Sponsored Programs Host Students have different departure dates from our "core" AFS Host Students.
Please keep reading to learn about
- Departure Day Dates
- End-of-Stay and Departure Day Guidelines
- How to see Hosted Student travel information in MyAFS
Departure Day (D-Day) Dates for 2020
- 22 June 2020 for Los Angeles (LAX), Seattle (SEA), Minneapolis (MSP), and Washington D.C. (IAD), Dallas (DFW) gateways
- 23 June 2020 for Chicago (ORD) and New York City (NYC) gateways*
*NOTE: Starting with NH18 departures, students hosted in New York State will depart the Monday after the last Regents/graduations.
End-of-Stay and Departure Day Guidelines for 2020
- Chicago (ORD), New York City (NYC), Los Angeles (LAX), Seattle (SEA) Guidelines
- Dallas (DFW) Guidelines
- Minneapolis (MSP) and Washington D.C. (IAD) Guidelines
Not sure what your Area Team’s travel gateway is for your new AFS Region? While it has not changed, please take a look at these maps that show the new region structure with the travel gateways/area teams.
How to see Hosted Student travel information in MyAFS and Global Link
You can see the travel information for your Host Students in MyAFS by going to the Team widget (see screenshot below)
Click on the host student and you will go their page (see screenshot below). If you click on "Travel Info" which is located under their Medical Card and ID Card you will access their travel information on Global Link.
There are also three reports in Global Link that are helpful for planning and coordinating departures, including one specifically for YES and FLEX Sponsored Programs students.