In October 2019, the online application moved to a new platform. The application and platform were created by AFS International with the goal of ensuring consistency with the network and their study abroad online application processes.
An applicant still gets started by visiting the study abroad landing page at https://www.afsusa.org/study-abroad/ to Get Started. Applicants will be prompted to first create an account with before unlocking the pre-application which includes selecting their top destinations.
Here is a visual that provides more detail of the whole application journey. Below the graphic, there is more information about each stage.
Status: Get Started
- Student has started an application and is filling out basic information (pre-app)
- Applicant can select multiple programs that they are interested in
- There is no fee for students to start an application and work on the pre-app
- Based on information in the pre-app Salesforce will determine which programs they are eligible for
- Applicant must pick one top choice program to move forward
- Student must pay their AFS application fee
- $200 for Year and Semester
- $75 for Summer and Global Prep
Status: Next Steps (Confirmation)
- Applicant is working on their full AFS application and forms (Health, Academic, Statements)
- Volunteer team is notified that the student is ready for an interview
- Once application and interview are complete the application is Transferred to the AFS Partner
Status: Accepted (Purchase)
- Applicant has been accepted by the AFS partner!
- Payments begin
- Visa process
- Host family information
Status: Get Ready (Onboarding)
- Applicant is preparing for departure
- Travel Information
Status: Bon Voyage
- Participant has departed for their AFS program