In October 2019, the online application moved to a new platform. The application and platform were created by AFS International with the goal of ensuring consistency with the network and their study abroad online application processes. In September of 2023, AFS-USA updated its application process once more and this article reflects those changes.
An applicant still gets started by visiting the study abroad landing page at https://www.afsusa.org/study-abroad/. Applicants will be prompted to first create an account with before unlocking the pre-application which includes selecting their top destinations.
Here is a visual that provides more detail of the whole application journey (you can also download it here). Below the graphic, there is more information about each status.
Status: Get Started
- Student has started an application and is filling out all self-reported information.
- This includes: Profile Information, Introductory Paragraphs, Basic Health Information, Essay Questions, Basic Financial Information (to be considered for Scholarship), and The Parent/Guardian Statement.
- Applicant must select multiple programs that they are interested in, but select a top choice.
- There is no fee for students to start an application.
- Based on information collected thus far, Salesforce will determine which programs they are eligible for.
- Application is given a preliminary review from Study Abroad Specialist and if they meet qualifications they are moved forward in the process.
Status: Next Steps (Confirmation)
- Applicant is working on their full AFS application and forms (Health, Academic, Teacher Recommendation and FAST Application if needed).
- Volunteer team is notified that the student is ready for an interview. Team should schedule and conduct the interview.
- Once application and interview are complete, the application is given a final assessment by the Study Abroad Team. If accepted, a spot offered on a particular program and if eligible a scholarship amount is awarded.
- Once the spot and scholarship are accepted, the application is Transferred to the AFS Partner.
Status: Accepted (Purchase)
- Applicant has been accepted by the AFS partner!
- Payments begin, if needed.
- Visa process begins.
- Host family information is provided once placement is made.
Status: Get Ready (Onboarding)
- Applicant is preparing for departure, participating in orientations, etc.
- Travel Information is provided.
Status: Bon Voyage
- Participant has departed for their AFS program!