Attached is a visual aid to help understand the Sending Journey; it outlines the following steps that occur after a student goes to www.afsusa.org to Start their Journey by choosing a program and submitting their name, email address, and zip code to create an account:
- Get Started – There are 4 tasks to complete in this step:
1. About Participant
2. About Parents
3. Profile Photo + 5 more photos
4. Host Family Letter
- Applied – Applicants meet with a Study Abroad Specialist to confirm eligibility and parental support. At this stage they pay a non-refundable $200 fee to move forward.
- Next Steps – In this stage, Academic Forms, Parent Statements, Recommendation Letters, Health Info, Passport Info, and the Participation Agreement are submitted. Once a student enters Next Steps, they appear in the Interviews widget of MyAFS, and TDS and volunteers are notified that the student is ready for an interview.
- Review – In this stage, the student's application is transferred to the partner country, and a $500 deposit is made.
- Accepted – Once accepted by the partner country, the Visa process begins, the full Program Fee is paid, Host Family Info is received (if applicable), International and Domestic Travel is planned, and CultureTrek continues.
- Get Ready – At this stage the student's Health Form Addendum and Emergency Contact Info are collected.
- Bon Voyage – The student attends a Gateway Orientation and then departs!
Another great way to learn about the application process is to complete the Online Training module Mentoring Participants through the Application Process.
For a step-by-step guide of what the application process looks like, you can also view our guided tour. The guide covers:
- how an AFS account is first created
- how to start the application
- the Next Steps after the student speaks to an AFS staff person to verify eligibility for their program of interest and parental approval to continue the application process
- a final review to be sure everything is accurate and complete