As part of our commitment to sending great students abroad, AFS-USA offers both need and merit-based scholarships.
Scholarships allow us to extend the reach of our mission by:
- Enabling students to go abroad who otherwise could not
- Providing a tool for making new connections and increasing the visibility of AFS
Scholarships also help us…
- Attract and recognize high caliber students
- Achieve organizational goals (longer and earlier)
- Support our partners abroad and contribute to network health (by encouraging flexibility)
Please see the Scholarships Page of the public website for specific application materials and deadlines for all AFS-USA scholarships. All national scholarships are listed on each state’s webpage along with the Global Leaders need-based award program and any local scholarships offered by area teams or chapters.
Be sure to also check out materials to Promote Scholarships including a scholarships "cheat sheet" that you can print.
For more information about scholarships, you can visit the scholarships FAQ page or contact email@example.com.
AFS-USA’s flagship need-based award program for students who are in need of financial assistance is the Global Leaders Need-Based Scholarship. As part of our commitment to make study abroad possible for all students, we encourage every student to apply for a Global Leaders need-based award.
Here are some details about the program:
- Any student at any stage can apply for a Global Leaders award, as long as they started an application with AFS-USA.
- All programs are eligible, including Global Prep.
- Applying students/families will need to submit an online FAST financial aid application. Please be aware that the application fee is $43. It remains our commitment that the FAST processing fee and its payment never stand in the way of a qualified student applying for an AFS-USA need-based award. Although, we request that families carefully and honestly assess their abilities to pay the fee, we do offer a fee waiver policy for families suffering from significant economic hardship. Please read more about the extenuating circumstances that would qualify a family for a waiver at the scholarship website.
- Families who qualify typically have household incomes of $65,000 or less, though some extenuating circumstances can be considered
For more information about the merit-based scholarships (application details, deadlines, etc.), please click on each link:
- Vaya a America Latina Scholarship
- Yoshi Hattori Memorial Scholarship
- Sakura Scholarship
- BP Global STEM Academy
- Helen “Peggie” Miller Scholarship
- Pride Scholarship
- Aussie Kiwi Haere Scholarship
- Coast2Coast Italia Scholarship
U.S Department of State Sponsored Merit Scholarships
AFS also offers three full, merit-based scholarships that are sponsored by the U.S. Department of State:
- Youth Exchange and Study (YES Abroad)
- NSLI for Youth (NSLI-Y)
- Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX)