Due to the ongoing impact of COVID-19 our current scholarship opportunities are limited. Please refer to this article from the Study Abroad FAQs for more information. We hope to bring back our full repertoire of scholarships in the 2022 year.
As part of our commitment to sending great students abroad, AFS-USA offers both need and merit-based scholarships.
Scholarships allow us to extend the reach of our mission by:
- Enabling students to go abroad who otherwise could not
- Providing a tool for making new connections and increasing the visibility of AFS
Scholarships also help us…
- Attract and recognize high caliber students
- Achieve organizational goals (longer and earlier)
- Support our partners abroad and contribute to network health (by encouraging flexibility)
Please see the Scholarships Page of the public website for specific application materials and deadlines for all AFS-USA scholarships. All national scholarships are listed on each state’s webpage along with the Global Leaders need-based award program and any local scholarships offered by area teams or chapters.
Be sure to also check out materials to Promote Scholarships including a scholarships "cheat sheet" that you can print.
For more information about scholarships, you can visit the scholarships FAQ page.
AFS-USA’s flagship need-based award program for students who are in need of financial assistance is the Global Leaders Need-Based Scholarship. As part of our commitment to make study abroad possible for all students, we encourage every student to apply for a Global Leaders need-based award.
Here are some details about the program:
- Any student at any stage can apply for a Global Leaders award, as long as they started an application with AFS-USA.
- All programs are eligible, including Global Prep.
- Applying students/families will need to submit an online FAST financial aid application. Please be aware that the application fee is $43. It remains our commitment that the FAST processing fee and its payment never stand in the way of a qualified student applying for an AFS-USA need-based award. Although, we request that families carefully and honestly assess their abilities to pay the fee, we do offer a fee waiver policy for families suffering from significant economic hardship. Please read more about the extenuating circumstances that would qualify a family for a waiver at the scholarship website.
- Families who qualify typically have household incomes of $65,000 or less, though some extenuating circumstances can be considered.
For more information about the merit-based scholarships (application details, deadlines, etc.), please click on each link:
- Vaya a America Latina Scholarship
- Yoshi Hattori Memorial Scholarship
- Sakura Scholarship
- BP Global STEM Academy
- Helen “Peggie” Miller Scholarship
- Pride Scholarship
- Aussie Kiwi Haere Scholarship
- Coast2Coast Italia Scholarship
U.S Department of State Sponsored Merit Scholarships
AFS also offers three full, merit-based scholarships that are sponsored by the U.S. Department of State:
- Youth Exchange and Study (YES Abroad)
- NSLI for Youth (NSLI-Y)
- Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX)