As part of our commitment to sending great students abroad, AFS-USA offers both need and merit-based scholarships.
Scholarships allow us to extend the reach of our mission by:
- Enabling students to go abroad who otherwise could not
- Providing a tool for making new connections & increasing the visibility of AFS
Scholarships also help us…
- Attract and recognize high caliber students
- Achieve organizational goals (longer and earlier)
- Support our partners abroad & contribute to network health (by encouraging flexibility)
Please see the Scholarship Page of the public website for specific application materials and deadlines for all AFS-USA scholarships. All national scholarships are listed on each state’s webpage along with the Global Leaders need-based award program and any local scholarships offered by area teams or chapters. And a Scholarships Cheat sheet can be found on the Field Hub in the Scholarships section as shown here:
For more information about scholarships, you can visit the scholarships FAQ page as well.
Need Based Scholarships
AFS-USA’s flagship need-based award program for students who are in need of financial assistance is Global Leaders. As part of our commitment to make study abroad possible for all students, we encourage every student to apply for a Global Leaders need-based award.
Here are some details about the program:
- Any student at any stage can apply for a Global Leaders award, as long as they started an application with AFS-USA.
- With the exception of AFSNext programs, all programs are eligible (including Global Prep)
- Applying students/families will need to submit an online FAST financial aid application. Please be aware that the application fee is $43. It remains our commitment that the FAST processing fee and its payment never stand in the way of a qualified student applying for an AFS-USA need-based award. Although, we request that families carefully and honestly assess their abilities to pay the fee, we do offer a fee waiver policy for families suffering from significant economic hardship. Please read more about the extenuating circumstances that would qualify a family for a waiver at the scholarship website.
- Families who qualify typically have household incomes of $65,000 or less, though some extenuating circumstances can be considered
Merit Based Scholarships
For more information about the merit-based scholarships (application details, deadlines, etc.), please click on each link:
- Vaya a America Latina Scholarship
- Viaggio Italiano Scholarship
- Cultural Explorer Scholarship
- Yoshi Hattori Memorial Scholarship
- Sakura Scholarship
- BP Global Citizens of Tomorrow Scholarship (details for the 2018 scholarship will be available soon)
U.S Department of State Sponsored Merit Scholarships
AFS also offers three full, merit-based scholarships that are sponsored by the U.S. Department of State:
- Youth Exchange and Study (YES Abroad)
- NSLI for Youth (NSLI-Y)
- Congress-Bundestag Youth Exchange (CBYX)