To promote our mission, AFS encourages all volunteers to be involved in identifying and working with people interested in studying or volunteering abroad. For an introduction to Sending and our Sending Programs, please review the Sending Overview and the Sending Programs Overview.
Do you want to learn more about bringing the AFS experience to U.S. students? Check out this 30-minute presentation by one of our Study Abroad Specialists; it will introduce you to our program offerings, application process, and where to find resources to help you promote study abroad.
You don't need to be an expert in our Sending Programs to be able to support sending participants abroad. Your belief in the AFS mission and your knowledge of AFS basics will go a long way! Here are a few key points about AFS, we have:
- 70 years of history and are the largest exchange organization
- The widest selection of programs
- A supportive network of volunteers both in the U.S. and overseas
- Orientations throughout the process
- Student safety as a top priority
This Help & Learning section will give you many more tips and pointers to guide you as you work with sending participants abroad. There are many ways to help encourage studying and volunteering abroad. Sending Volunteer activities include:
- Reaching out to potential AFSers and promoting AFS
- Encouraging interested people to start their journey at our website www.afsusa.org
- Acting as a local contact for schools and educators about our programs and scholarships
- Sharing your AFS story with others
- Interviewing applicants
- Inviting Leads/Applicants to AFS activities already happening in your area
- Organizing or helping at a Sending Orientation
We hope this Help & Learning section will help you get started today. Every effort makes a difference in our mission to promote intercultural understanding. If you have any questions along the way, please do not hesitate to contact your team's Sending Coordinator, your TDS, or our Study Abroad Specialist in NY (all visible in the Team Directory). Thank you!