The "Person" section of Global Link allows you to look up any person living in the U.S. who has a connection to AFS. That means host families, sending families, volunteers and leads. The only people NOT in the Person section are our Hosted Students (they are in the Hosted Participant Section). This page will teach you:
- How to Find a Specific Person in your Team
- How to Find Volunteers in your Team by Affiliation
- How to Find Volunteers in Other Teams
- How to Find Staff Contacts
How to Find a Specific Person in your Team
1. Click on Person on the left hand side of the Global Link homepage.
2. The Person: Search screen will appear. This screen allows you to enter any information you have on a particular person in an attempt to find their record in Global Link. Some of the most common ways to search for a person are by name and/or email address. You can enter as little or as much of a name in case you aren't sure of spelling before selecting Search.
3. All people in your Team with the search criteria you entered (in this case, those with a first initial "J" and a last name starting with "Peters") will appear in your search results. Click on the name of the person you were seeking to get more details and the contact information of the person you are searching (anything in blue in Global Link can be clicked to open more information). To learn about what information you can see about people in Global Link, read Interpreting the Person Search.
How to Find Volunteers in your Team by Affiliation
1. In order to find volunteers in your team by affiliation, you will first select Person on left-hand side:
2. Next, enter your search criteria in the Affiliation section of the Person Search:
a. Max Results = Show All
b. Affiliation/Name = This is where you would enter the name of the affiliation such as "Liaison," "Hosting Volunteer," or "Sending Interviewer." You can search for all volunteers by using the affiliation "Volunteer." In the example below we are searching for Volunteer Registration Interviewers.
c. Affiliation Status = Active (this is how we know the volunteers are fully registered and have the affiliation we are searching)
d. Organization Name = The name of the team.
And then Search
How to Find Volunteers in Other Teams
In order to help protect people's privacy, Person search results using the method above will only generate people in your own team. However, we want to encourage partnerships and friendships across teams. Thus, there is a Volunteer Directory available in the Reports section of Global Link to help you find volunteers in different teams.
First, click on Reports in the left menu, and then find the "Volunteer Directory" under "Organization Report" here:
In the new view that opens, you can choose to look people up by name, location, Team or affiliation. For example, if I was looking to contact the Hosting Coordinator in the Western NY Team, I would enter the following before selecting View Report:
How to Find Staff Contacts
Use the Team Directory widget on MyAFS to find staff contacts for your Area Team. To learn more about the role of each staff member associated with your team, visit AFS-USA Staff: Who to Contact.
If you have a national role with AFS and need to identify staff members who work with other teams, you can find a complete listing of all Field Staff in the Reports section of Global Link in the report called Organization Staff Contacts here:
If you have any trouble looking up people, please do not hesitate to contact your Volunteer Services Specialist (VSS).