Host Family Recruitment Standards and Guidelines:
To ensure the privacy and safety or our participants, host families, and host schools, all AFS Staff and Volunteers must follow CSIET and Department of State host family recruitment standards at all times. When finding host families, please carefully follow the regulations listed in the CSIET Host Family Recruitment Standards and Department of State Advertising and Marketing for Host Family Recruitment regulations. The full text of the CSIET Standards can also be found on their website at www.csiet.org
AFS shall NOT publicize the need for host families via any public media with announcements, notices, advertisements, etc, that:
- are not sufficiently in advance of the student’s arrival.
- appeal to public pity or guilt.
- imply in any way that a student will be denied participation if a host family is not found immediately.
- identify photos of individual students and include an appeal for an immediate family.
- compromise the privacy, safety, or security of participants, families, or schools. Specifically, using personal student data or contact information (including addresses, phone numbers or email addresses) or photographs of the student. Exchange student photographs and personally identifying information, either online or in print form, can only be made available to potential host families who have been fully vetted and selected for program participation. Such information, if available online, must be password protected.