This is a useful guide for liaisons to provide clear facts to the support department. In addition, this guide is useful for the liaison to understand what questions and/or issues should be addressed with his or her student.
- Participant FULL name
- Sending Ctry/Program/Hosting Ctry/Program YR
- Hosting community
- Person first reporting the problem/concern
- Host/Natural Family
- AFS Volunteer
- School-Principal/AFS Advisor/School Counselor
- Person completing report
- Is the problem urgent?
- National Office Notified
- Follow-up reporting
- What is the problem? (‘‘Be specific, avoid generalizations, don't assume, be sure about meaning)
- When did the problem start? (‘‘Exact time, how often, relation to other events)
- How do other people involved in the situation see it?(‘‘Obtain all sides of the story; be objective)
- Are there physical symptoms involved? (‘‘Detailed report of health conditions; is there a relationship between health and problems)
- What has the participant tried to do about it? What does the participant see as possible solutions? (Help the participant sort out and explore options)
- Are there major inconsistencies between feelings, content, and body posture?(Determine differences between feelings, content and body language)
- What does the participant want to do versus what s/he feels s/he should do? (out versus want)
- What will be done? (‘‘When/by whom)
MEDICAL (and Dental Emergency/Accident)
In the event of an accident, please request a medical report from the doctor.
- Name and Location of hospital/office
- If the student is admitted to the hospital call the Duty Officer immediately
Name of attending physician and phone number Diagnosis and /or prognosis
IN THE RARE EVENT THAT A STUDENT IS DETAINED BY POLICE, PLEASE:
- Inform the student that they do not have to answer any questions from the police without having and attorney present.
- Call the Duty Officer immediately if the student is arrested.
Please request the following information:
- Name/number of police officer & station/phone number
- Branch of law enforcement
- Specific charges and Conditions of release
- Age of student
ANY THREAT TO A STUDENT’S SAFETY AND WELL-BEING:
- Call the Duty Officer immediately.
- If there are safety concerns in regards to the placement, the student needs to be moved immediately, at least on a temporary basis until AFS can determine that this is a safe environment for the student.