This article includes the following information:
1. How to search for Returnees in Global Link by location
2. How to update contact information for Returnees
3. How to find Returnee Volunteers.
Additional questions regarding returnees can be directed to your TDS or to email@example.com
1. How to Search for Returnees in Global Link by Location
Conduct a Person search with the following parameters:
- Affiliation/Group = Returnee (click magnifying glass and select the "USA, Returnee, Member Internal" option)
- Affiliation Status = Active
- And then choose to search by State, Zip Code or Organization Name (Team or Chapter). The example below shows a search by volunteer team.
- Max Results = Show All
And then Search
You can choose to Export to Excel, which will prompt you to select any subscriber alerts you would like to include. DO NOT SELECT "No Returnee Solicitation," "Returnee Restriction," or "No Solicitation of Any Kind."
View the downloaded Excel document to see returnee contact and program information.
Note: When a “participant” service case in the “participation” stage closes in Global Link, the person is automatically assigned a returnee affiliation regardless of the close reason. This means that students who come home early will still be assigned a returnee affiliation. For this reason, be sure not to contact returnees with subscriber alerts that are inappropriate for your message. For example, “Returnee Restriction” means that the person should not be contacted in regards to being a returnee.
Click in for more information on Subscriber Alerts in Global Link.
2. How to Update Contact Information for Returnees
You likely will not have direct access in Global Link to update contact information for a Returnee so you may need to ask your TDS or Team Chair for assistance. If you are able to update the Returnee's contact information in their Person Record, please note that Returnees are often associated with a family. For this reason, do not update a “Home Address” unless the returnee is listed as an “Independent Adult” no longer linked to his/her family or if the address of the entire family has changed. Instead, update the “Other Address” for the Returnee.
If the Returnee now resides in a new volunteer team, please take the additional step of assigning a new Returnee Affiliation or editing the returnee's current affiliation. Here is how to do that:
- Find the Returnee in Global Link (using these instructions if needed). Then select the Affiliation tab within the Returnee's Global Link Record. Select the sub tab Affiliation Type Member & Other.
- To change the Returnee's current team affiliation, select Edit as shown here. To add an additional affiliation, see the Note below.
- Next, click the Select/Add Organization(s) button to choose the appropriate volunteer team that is associated with the returnee’s new address. And click Ok. Please add a remark with important information such as, “Moved from Oregon to Washington, D.C. 8/2016” (this information should also be included in the person's Contact Log). Click Save.
Note: If the Returnee wants to be associated with two different teams, for example their “home” team and the team where they attend college, you can simply add another returnee affiliation instead of changing the main organization. To do so you would click on Add Affiliation(s) as shown here rather than editing the current affiliation. Then complete the Affiliation Detail screen as shown above. Again, let your TDS know if you have questions or problems. Thank you for helping to keep our records accurate!
3. How to find Returnee Volunteers
To find current Returnee Volunteers, go to the Reports Section of Global Link and find the Volunteer Directory Report.
Next, search for the appropriate affiliation, such as:
-Returnee Country Specialist - represent the country in which they studied abroad and serve as resources for future AFSers especially those with country-specific questions.
-Returnee Initiative Member - can be contacted by anyone across the U.S. for student referrals.
-Returnee Coordinator - usually work just in the local area team.
-Returnee Ambassador - are actively promoting AFS study abroad programs locally.
For national affiliations like Returnee Country Specialist, you do not need to enter any other information other than Affiliation and View Report.