AFS-USA has made it possible for individual volunteers and volunteer groups like Area Teams and Chapters to create individual and group email addresses using the afsusa.org email domain.
Use of these email addresses is optional, but any registered volunteer, Area Team or Chapter may request one if they desire.
Why would I want to consider having an afsusa.org email address?
- Promotion of AFS-USA
- Easier for people to remember how to contact you
- Allows you to segregate your AFS email from your personal/work email
- Enables you to be identified as someone affiliated with AFS-USA
How do I request an afsusa.org email address?
If you would like to set one up, please email your request to email@example.com. The volunteer domain administrators will handle and respond to your request.
What will my email address look like?
Your afsusa.org email account will be Firstname.Lastname@afsusa.org. For example the address for Jane Doe would be Jane.Doe@afsusa.org
Who do I contact for Help when I have problems with my account or forget my password?
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions, problems, or password reset questions on your afsusa.org email account
How do I set up my email account once I receive my username and password?
You will receive an email from AFS-USA with your email username and password. Follow these steps to set up your account:
- Setting up your account
- Go to https:www.google.com/gmail/
- Sign on using your new username and the password sent to you
- You will be prompted with set of security words (to ensure that this is not an automated robot and that you are a real person)
- The first time you sign in you may have to add the gmail to your interface. Click on "add stuff" on the right hand side, then click on "add it now" under gmail, then click on "back to the homepage"
- There will be two emails already in your in box with some instructions/helpful hints for you – you can read them, archive them, as you desire
- We recommend that you save the page you are on in your favorites to make it easier to get back here in the future without having to remember the above URL
- *NEW: The google email page layout has changed. When you log into your email box for the first time, click on your email account name in the upper right hand corner of the screen. Select Account Settings to access the link to change your password. The link to change your email is in the top center of the screen. To access the link to set up Forwarding, click on Gmail settings. This link is located in the bottom center of the page. The instructions to create a signature block are also located on this page.
- Setting up forwarding
*you can only forward email to a single email address
- Click on “settings” in upper right hand corner
- Click on “forwarding and POP/IMAP”
- Enter your personal email address in the appropriate box and click on the “forward…” button
- A message will be sent to your home email address to verify that you have entered it in correctly and that you actually own that address
- You will need to sign on to your personal email address (in another window/tab) – you can either click on the link in the message, or copy the confirmation code into the appropriate field in your new afsusa email account
- Click on “Save changes” button at bottom of screen
- Resetting your password
- The password you have been sent the first time is just a generic password. You should choose something that you can easily remember
- Click on “settings” as above
- Click on “accounts, then on “Google Account settings”
- A new screen will appear where you can click on “change password”
- Setting up your signature block
- Click on “settings” as above
- In the signature field, enter separate lines for your name, your AFS position, any contact information you wish to share, and the URL www.afsusa.org
Guidelines for use of your afsusa.org email address
- Mailbox should only be used for mail associated with the AFS-USA, not for personal email
- Inbound mail – since the only thing exposed is the name of the mailbox, the naming conventions are all that is necessary for appropriate branding
- Auto-reply – Any auto-reply message should follow rules for outbound mail
- Signature block should include name of individual