The AFS-USA Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Group was established at the National Volunteer Assembly (NVA). The objectives of this advisory group are to:
- Evaluate, monitor and implement diversity initiatives across the organization.
- Work with volunteers and staff to enhance diversity for AFS-USA, understanding our current student, host family, and volunteer demographics, and make recommendations for improving under-represented communities, so that AFS-USA reflects the country as a whole.
- Improve program quality, access diversity resources, and achieve the AFS mission and vision.
- The Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Group (DIAG) will focus on data collection, analysis, and interpretation, as well as research on best practices and demographic trends.
- Education and Training; The DIAG will coordinate the development of education and training materials for use throughout the organization.
- On an annual basis, the Diversity and Inclusion Advisory Group (DIAG) will share work and present continual education on Diversity and Inclusion at the National Volunteer Assembly (NVA).
What is the composition of the advisory group?
The make up of the Advisory Group will be both volunteers and staff members. The committee will seek to have a representative group, involving staff and volunteer members with experience in hosting, sending, volunteer development, sponsored programs, development, and or information technology. Weight considerations will also be given to the regional and demographic makeup, as well as even mix of staff and volunteers; experience in diversity initiatives; training and development experience; and experience in organizational development strategies.The group is accountable to the National Council.
How much time is required?
- Regular conference calls (bi-weekly or monthly)
- Regular email correspondence
How long are the terms of membership?
- Commit to being active and responsible members for a minimum two-year term (members may renew for up to three terms)
How can I get involved?
If you are interested in learning more about this group and how you can get involved, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.