The Sponsored Programs Advisory Group (SPAG) will provide input and guidance to the Sponsored Programs (SP) Department, strive to promote sponsored programs priorities throughout the AFS community and serve as a resource to the volunteer network furthering the AFS staff and volunteer partnership. This can be achieved by:
- Strengthening the infrastructure for mobilizing advocacy for SP
- Identifying ways to engage more volunteers with SP
- Advise, consult and provide input to SP staff on matters of significance
- Communicate SP opportunities to the larger AFS community
- Nurture the recognition of blended programs (FLEX/AFS, YES/AFS, CB/AFS, NSLI-Y/AFS) as mutually beneficial partnerships
- Foster an understanding of all Sponsored Programs as aligned with the AFS mission
What is the composition of the advisory group?
This group includes both AFS-USA staff and volunteers. Volunteer representation is based on AFS volunteer experience, interest, and skills. Ideally the group will include volunteers from across the country that have experience and interest in our Sponsored Programs. When possible SP returnees or their parents shall be included.
The group is accountable to the Sponsored Programs Department
How much time is required?
- The committee will meet by phone conference at least once a month.
- There will be regular email correspondence.
- The progress and outcomes of this committee will be regularly communicated to cluster coordinators and to volunteers in leadership positions utilizing the following
- Additional or emergency meetings may be called as needed.
How long are terms of membership?
Members are asked to serve a term of three years.
How can I get involved?
To indicate interest in serving as a volunteer on the national level, please complete the National Council Committee and Advisory Group interest form here.