The Sponsored Programs Advisory Group (SPAG) provides input and guidance to the Sponsored Programs (SP) Department, strives to promote Sponsored Programs priorities throughout the AFS community, and serves as a resource to the volunteer network furthering the AFS staff and volunteer partnership. This can be achieved by:
- Strengthening the infrastructure for mobilizing advocacy for Sponsored Programs
- Identifying ways to engage AFS volunteers with U.S. Department of State ECA Programs
- Advising, consulting, and providing input to SP staff on matters of significance
- Communicating SP opportunities to the larger AFS community
- Recognizing the blending of ECA programs (FLEX, YES, CBYX, NSLI-Y) and AFS Flagship programs as mutually beneficial partnerships
- Fostering an understanding of all Sponsored Programs in alignment with organizational goals and the AFS mission
What is the composition of the advisory group?
This group includes both AFS-USA staff and volunteers. Volunteer representation is based on AFS volunteer experience, interest, and skills. Ideally the group will include volunteers from across the country that have experience and interest in our Sponsored Programs. When possible SP returnees or their parents shall be included.
The group is accountable to the Sponsored Programs Department
How much time is required?
- The committee will meet by phone conference at least once a month.
- There will be regular email correspondence.
- The progress and outcomes of this committee will be regularly communicated to cluster coordinators and to volunteers in leadership positions utilizing the following
- Additional or emergency meetings may be called as needed.
How long are terms of membership?
Members are asked to serve a term of three years.
How can I get involved?
To indicate interest in serving as a volunteer on the national level, please complete the National Council Committee and Advisory Group interest form here.