The Volunteer Recognition Committee (VRC) is responsible for the oversight and development of AFS-USA’s national volunteer recognition plan. This committee is responsible for the following:
- Developing selection criteria to be used when selecting volunteers for international and domestic awards, including chaperone trips;
- Setting guidelines, developing timelines, and supervising the implementation of all awards and volunteer recognition including, but not limited to, the selection for chaperone and/or volunteer study exchange travel;
- Overseeing the annual award selection process for both USA nominees for international and national recognition;
- Creating and publishing an annual volunteer recognition plan for AFS-USA,
- Providing a brief report at National Council meetings a minimum of three times a year, and/or when awards are announced;
- Creating sub-selection committees as needed to help implement awards;
- Supporting recognition efforts at the local level. One example is the Volunteer Recognition Certificate available to teams.
Click here to see the article outlining the current national and international volunteer awards overseen by this committee.
|Debra Bryda||Volunteer||Northeast Ohio|
|Elisabeth Hinshaw-Osgood||Volunteer||World Class (WI)|
|Chris Kowalski||Volunteer||Greater Cleveland|
|Barb McManus||Volunteer||Greater Cincinnati|
Greater Los Angeles
|Nancy Satola||Volunteer||World Flags (WI)|
Western New York
On average, five hours of time commitment per month are required, though some sub-committee work may require more hours during award selection periods. Activities may include but are not limited to:
- Monthly conference calls with the possibility of additional calls during selection periods;
- Regular email correspondence with sufficient frequency to complete the agreed-upon tasks;
- Availability to serve on sub-committees related to specific awards (i.e. Galatti Award, Belo/Flight Chaperone, Mission Award, etc.).
- Committee members serve a one-year term with the option to renew on an annual basis.
How can I get involved?
To indicate interest in serving as a volunteer on the national level, please complete the National Council Committee and Advisory Group interest form here.