The Volunteer Recognition Committee is responsible for the oversight and development of AFS-USA’s national volunteer recognition plan. This committee is responsible for the following:
- Developing selection criteria to be used when selecting volunteers for international and domestic awards, including chaperone trips.
- Setting guidelines, timelines and supervising the implementation of all awards and volunteer recognition including, but not limited to, the selection for chaperone and/or volunteer study exchange travel.
- Overseeing the annual award selection process for both USA nominees for international and national recognition.
- Creating and publishing an annual volunteer recognition plan for AFS-USA.
- Providing a brief report at National Council meetings a minimum of 3 times a year, and/or when awards are announced.
- Creating sub-selection committees as needed to help the Volunteer Recognition Committee
- Supporting recognition efforts at the local level. See Volunteer Recognition Certificate
Click here to see the article outlining the current AFS National and International Volunteer awards overseen by this committee.
What is the composition of the committee?
The committee is made up of AFS-USA volunteers and staff and for the 2017/18 year includes seven volunteers and three staff members. This committee is accountable to the Sr. Director of Volunteer Development and Participant Support.
The 2017/18 Volunteer Recognition Committee members are:
- Debra Bryda - Northeast Ohio
- Nancy Frazier - DelMarPA
- Nancy Satola - World Flags
- Christina Kowalski - Greater Cleveland
- Jim Laden - Columbia Pacific
- Karen P. Nelson - Greater Puget Sound
- Ann Sweet - Western New York
- Audrey Pinchock - Organizational Development Specialist
- Barbara McManus - Senior Team Development Specialist
- Nneka Anunkor - Volunteer Resource Coordinator
- Kristen Bates - Sr. Director Volunteer Development and Participant Support
How much time is required?
On average 5 hours a month though some sub committee work may require more hours during the selection period. Time commitments includes but is not limited to the following activities:
- Regular conference calls as needed.
- Regular email correspondence, with sufficient frequency will be required to complete the agreed upon tasks
- Committee members may be asked to serve on sub-committees related to specific awards (i.e. Galatti Award, Flight Chaperone, Mission, etc.)
How long are the terms of membership?
- Volunteers and staff members will serve a one-year term with the option to renew on an annual basis
- The Chair will be selected by the Sr. Director of Volunteer Development and Participant Support and will serve a one-year term with the potential to renew.
How can I get involved?
If you are interested and want to get more information about this committee please email them at [email protected]