This article will address how to use Global Link’s Activity Module to
- add activities, orientations, and training
- indicate individual host families, students, or volunteers were in attendance
Please note: Only volunteers with certain affiliations can create an activity such as an orientation and link participants to that orientation. If you do not have access and would like it, please contact your Team Development Specialist. Thank you!
Adding Activities to Global Link
2. Click Activity (USA) in the left menu.
3. To add a new Activity, Orientation, or Training, click the New button under all the search fields (see below how to learn how to check if an activity is already in Global Link).
4. At the top part of the screen, fill in all the fields that have a red asterisk next to them (Activity Name, Activity Type, Activity Mode, Activity Level, Activity Focus, and Activity Sub-Focus).
Note: Your Area Team name will appear after you save the activity.
5. OPTIONAL STEP when initially creating an activity:
a. Fill in the Responsible Name. Clicking on the icon next to the field will open a new window where you can look for your name or the name of a different volunteer coordinating the activity:
b. To add Activity Location, click the icon next to that field as shown below. You may enter text to search by Location Name and/or filter your results by Location Type. The address detail will appear next to the Location Name results. After searching, click on your desired location to highlight it and click OK to select.
c. If you wish to add a New Location click the button. Then fill out the appropriate fields under Location Detail and click Save.
6. Choose Save at the bottom of the main Activity Detail screen to create the new activity.
7. To link more than one team to an Activity, look for the Main Organization section in the middle of the screen. It defaults to your area team when saving a new activity.
To add additional teams, a new main organization record must be specified by clicking New Activity Organization. Enter the Organization Name in the pop-up that appears and click Save.
Assigning People to the Activity
Once an Activity (Orientation, Training, etc.) is created in the Activity Module of Global Link you can find it by Name, Area Team or any of the other search criteria. In this example, only the Activity Sub Focus and Area Team are selected to find an orientation:
- Click on the Activity Ref. number to open the activity and then find the Assigned Persons section toward the bottom of the screen and click on Assign Persons to this Activity. In the pop-up box that appears choose the kind of person you need to assign and click Next.
2. To view the list of people in the category you selected, click Search. (Change Max Result if you need to view more than 50 records.) The Main Organization will default to your volunteer team.
3. Choose the people you want to assign by marking the checkbox to the left of their record and click Assign Selection at the bottom.
If you wish to add people from a different category, repeat steps 1 and 2.
It is not sufficient to simply link people to the activity. You must also indicate which people actually attended. To do this,
a. Click the checkbox to the left of their records. When you check one or more checkboxes, the Attendance Update button will be enabled. If you wish to add the same attendance information for more than one person you can check the checkboxes next to all of those people and move to the next step. (Note that if you wish to select everyone assigned you can mark the checkbox in the row of headers, and all of the boxes will be checked.)
b. Click Attendance Update. In the pop-up that appears, select their Role At Activity and their Attended Date. Then click Save.
The Role and Attended Date will then appear in the Assigned Person’s section:
5. Any paperwork (sign in sheets, etc.) that you want to go in the file can be scanned to your computer and attached at the bottom where it says Upload New File.
If you have any questions about this process, please contact your Team Development Specialist. Thank you!