When planning Arrival Orientation, Teams will need to take into consideration that their hosted students may be subject to quarantine depending on one or more of the following:
- Whether the student is fully vaccinated
- CDC recommendations regarding international travel
- Local or state-specific requirements
- Any host school requirements
Taking the above into consideration, we recognize that circumstances will vary among individuals and across Teams, therefore, Teams have the option to hold their Arrival Orientation in-person or in a virtual format with one week of the student’s arrival. Keep in mind, however, that any in-person orientation must include a virtual option given that some volunteers, participants and host families may be unable to attend or will be more comfortable attending a virtual orientation. Please consult Best Practices for Organizing In-Person Orientations and Events if planning to hold an in-person event or orientation.
In addition, given recent changes related to participant travel, we expect more teams will choose to run the Host Family Pickup model of Arrival Orientation, virtually and/or in-person the weekend immediately following the student’s arrival, instead of the conducting the Arrival Orientation immediately upon arrival. In either case, the Arrival Orientation must be within 7 days of arrival.
Please review the below pages which contain important information regarding planning for hosted student arrivals and Arrival Orientation.
- NH21 In-Person Arrival Orientation Slides
- NH21 Virtual Arrival Orientation Slides
- NH21 Arrival Orientation Evaluation
- Additional Activities Booklet
- Coordinating Arrivals
- 2021 Arrival Orientation and Host Family Pickup Overview
- Travel Documents, Health Form Addendum & ID Card Review
- FAQs About NH21 CORE/CBYX Arrivals
Arrival Orientation Optional Materials
- Questions for your Guidance Counselor
- AFS Chain of Communication
- Keys to a Successful Year
- 2020 Pre-Arrival Orientation Recording- This is a recording of a Pre-Arrival Orientation Webinar targeting inbound students, designed to highlight US placement realities in the time of COVID-19.
- 2018 Arrival Orientation Leader Guide