This Orientation is usually held approximately 4-6 weeks after the Arrival Orientation; it is the first time that a Team gets to check in on the Hosted Students after they have arrived. It is often the most critical orientation for evaluating the relationship between the student and the host family. Also keep in mind that for many students, this is the first orientation in the U.S. that they will understand, as they are finally beginning to truly learn English.
Volunteers works with students to more deeply develop constructive coping strategies and appropriate communications skills, which will be built on in the upcoming months of the intercultural experience.
The post-arrival orientation should go deeper into the Cultural Realm as students have already had the opportunity to experience some of the host culture. It is an ideal opportunity for deeper conversations about what the students have learned about themselves, their home and host cultures and what the adaptation issues they may be facing or will soon encounter.
The revised NH18 Post-Arrival Orientation Leader Guide and the accompanying Post-Arrival Orientation materials are finalized and ready for use as of 8/24/2018.
All of the resources you need to conduct a post-arrival orientation are listed below and attached.
- Post-Arrival Orientation Leader Guide
- Post-Arrival Orientation PowerPoint (optional but highly recommended)
- Post-Arrival Orientation "Comparing Values" Activity (listed in Leader Guide
- Post-Arrival Checking-In Survey for Students
- Evaluation of Post-Arrival Orientation (for students and volunteers)
- Post Arrival Orientation Optional Survey for Host Siblings (optional)
- Risky Scenarios #1-4 (listed in Leader Guide)
- Cultural Values – Statements and Explanations
- “Safety & Sexual Misconduct” pamphlet – required resource for students at/around Post-Arrival Orientation (Printer settings for pamphlet: color, landscape mode, print on two sides, flip on short edge)
Here is the recorded Post-Arrival Orientation webinar from 9/13/18. Please feel free to share the link with others involved in the Post-Arrival Orientation.
Based on feedback from TDS staff and Volunteers, the Post-Arrival Orientation Leader Guide has been adjusted to reflect the following recommendation. However, the revised text doesn’t mean that the Leader Guide must be re-printed. The revised text, under the “Required Student Handouts” now reads: Note: The "Safety & Sexual Misconduct" pamphlet is recommended, but not required for Post-Arrival. However, it is a required resource and should be distributed to each student at/soon after the Post-Arrival Orientation.
The pamphlet does relate to the topic talked about in Risky Scenario #2. However, if the pamphlet is not distributed or referenced in the Post-Arrival Orientation, it doesn’t impact the activity or discussion.
Here is the recorded Post-Arrival Orientation webinar from 9/13/18 and the recorded Post-Arrival Orientation webinar from 9/17/18 (1-hour, comprehensive webinar ideal for first-time leaders of Post-Arrival Orientation
Please remember to log your orientation in Global Link - thank you!