There are several states that require exchange organizations to register annually with the state. The primary reasons for registration include:
- Ability to host international exchange students in schools
- Ability for international exchange students to participate in school sports and extracurricular activities sponsored by the school
- Designating approved high school study abroad organizations in the state
AFS-USA is responsible for completing the annual registration process for states that have this requirement. It is important that AFS teams and chapters in the states of Arkansas, California, Illinois, Minnesota and Washington are aware of these additional requirements and that you are familiar with the regulations in your state.
For more information about the requirements, regulations, and registration deadlines in these states, you can click on the links below that will take you to the state website. Please note that in some cases, schools may require proof that AFS-USA is registered in the state.
If you have any questions, please contact your Regional Director (RD).
Arkansas - January 1
- Arkansas Secretary of State
- California - January 15
State of California Department of Justice
- Illinois - August 1
Illinois High School Association
- Minnesota - April 1 - for Hosting Program
Minnesota Secretary of State - Hosting
- Minnesota - for Study Abroad Program
Minnesota Secretary of State - Study Abroad
- Washington - June 15
State of Washington OSPI