This training is designed to help hosting volunteers practice host family calls. For the full presentation outline, click here. Continue reading for the role play exercise specifically:
Instructions for the Role Play:
1. Print the scenarios (either regular or Sponsored Programs focused or both!) on colored card stock and cut them apart.
2. Attach an index card to the hosting volunteer scenario for each pair.
3. Group participants in pairs, assign one to be the hosting volunteer and the other to be the lead.
4. Hand out scenarios 1-5 and tell them to NOT show their card to their partner. Have them read their cards and use that information to have a call with the lead. Ask them to not let the activity turn into a discussion of their own but do the call as realistically as possible and then sit quietly till time is up.
5. When most are through, ask them to stop and have the volunteer record any pertinent info on the index card. Then start with scenario 1, have one group read it aloud and have the volunteer read what she wrote on the card. If there was more than one pair with this scenario, ask the others to also read what was on their cards. Continue through the 5 scenarios. Point out some of the good things they did. Notice how many got to "yes!" If no one got a ‘no’ point out that it is not very realistic, as we often get ‘no’!
6. Do the activity again using scenarios 6-10 and with pairs switching roles. This time everyone should be able to turn objections into advantages better.
7. At the end, pass out a handout on overcoming objections, such as this one.