Belo USA Travel is an American travel operator based in Chicago specializing in cultural, educational, and tourist trips for international exchange students. Belo USA Travel has contracted with AFS-USA and other exchange organizations for more than 15 years. Belo USA Travel has designed trips specifically for AFS-USA students that will incorporate our mission and the idea of intercultural education. Belo USA Travel has a great appreciation for the AFS-USA mission and the desire for our students to participate in activities that follow these values. All trips will be chaperoned by AFS-USA volunteers/staff and Belo USA Travel staff.
Belo USA Tours in 2018
- Hawaii Expedition: February 10-17, March 4-11, March 10-17, March 17-24
- New York City: March 3-7, April 14-21
- NYC, Philadelphia, and Washington DC: March 3-10, April 14-21
- California Adventure: February 24- March 3
- East Coast: June 5-18
- West Coast: June 2-15, June 5-18
Because AFS-USA believes in the value of Belo USA Travel as an enhancement to our programs, the AFS-USA National Council has amended the AFS-USA Independent Travel Policy in regard to Belo USA Travel:
- Student travel must be approved by the Host Family, natural parents, the host school (if any school will be missed), local Support Coordinator, and AFS-USA.
- Students are required to submit a request form that is approved by the Support Coordinators before they can sign up for a trip. Included in this request form is approval/acceptance by the Host Family.
- Students should not purchase tickets until obtaining approvals from all designated parties.
- Travel waivers will be required for all trips.
- Students would be allowed to miss up to 5 days of school to travel on a Belo USA Travel bus tour (upon receiving approvals as indicated above).
- Host siblings are permitted to join the trips.
Student Travel Required Forms
AFS-USA and Belo USA Travel require specific forms to be completed for any students interested in participating in Belo USA Travel tours. Upon registering for a tour, Belo requests the Belo AFS Parents’ Authorization and Belo AFS Student Information Agreement forms which are waivers for Belo, as well as the AFS USA Student Travel Waiver for Belo Travel on behalf of AFS (our internal waiver). Belo will in turn share the completed waivers with AFS-USA, and AFS-USA will share the forms with the student’s sending country.
- AFS-USA Student Travel Waiver for Belo USA Travel 2018
- AFS Student Information and Agreement
- AFS Parents’ Authorization
Volunteer Chaperone Eligibility
The primary responsibility of a Belo USA Travel Chaperone is the welfare of participants traveling on a Belo USA Travel bus tour to destinations in the United States. In addition, the Chaperone is an official representative of AFS-USA. The Chaperone will meet participants at the beginning of a specific bus tour and will participate in the arrival orientation presented by Belo USA Travel staff.
Other requirements include:
- Be 25 years old as of February 1, 2018.
Be a registered AFS-USA Volunteer, with at least two (2) consecutive years actively volunteering at the time of application. Volunteers are involved with a local Chapter/Team and/or at a National level which may include orientations, working with students, liaisons, team/national leadership roles, advisory groups, and/or committees.
- Agree to fully comply with any and all mandatory training sessions.
- Assist students with their luggage, if needed.
- Have experience as a chaperone or group leader.
- Have organizational and problem solving skills.
- Be flexible and open to new experiences.
How to apply
Chaperone Application information coming soon!