Belo USA Travel is a travel operator based in Chicago specializing in cultural and educational tours for international exchange students. Belo USA Travel has offered these opportunities to AFS-USA and other exchange organizations for more than 20 years. Belo USA Travel has designed trips specifically for AFS-USA students. Belo USA Travel has a great appreciation for the AFS-USA mission and the desire for our students to participate in activities that align with AFS-USA values. All trips will be chaperoned by Belo USA Travel staff and anAFS-USA volunteer/staff depending upon availability.
Belo USA Tours in 2023
- Hawaii Expedition: February 11-18, March 11-18, March 25-April 1
- New York City: April 15-19
- NYC, Philadelphia, and Washington DC: April 15-22
- California Adventure: March 18-25
- East Coast: June 12-25
- West Coast: June 7-20
AFS-USA Independent Travel Policy regarding Belo USA Travel:
- Travel waivers will be required for all trips.
- Student travel must be approved by the host parents, sending parents, the host school (if any school will be missed), the local Support Coordinator and AFS-USA via the travel waiver.
- Students must submit a request form approved by the Support Coordinator before they can sign up for a trip. Included in this request form is approval/acceptance by the Host Family.
- Students should not purchase tickets until approval has been obtained from all designated parties.
- Students can miss up to 5 days of school to travel on a Belo USA Travel bus tour (upon receiving approvals as indicated above).
- Host siblings are permitted to join the trips if they are 16 years of age or older.
- Lastly, Belo Tours is solely responsible for all refund requests. AFS-USA has no control over refund requests and will not provide input regarding Belo Tours' refund policies or requests.
Student Travel Required Forms
- AFS-USA and Belo USA Travel require specific forms to be completed for any students interested in participating in Belo USA Travel tours. Upon registering for a tour, Belo requests the Belo AFS Parents’ Authorization and Belo AFS Student Information Agreement and the AFS-USA Student Travel Waiver for Belo Travel on behalf of AFS (our internal waiver). Travel with Belo may be denied on an individual basis if it is not in the best interest of the student to participate at that time. Examples for denial include conflict with host family plans, AFS obligations, school requirements or a student having adjustment or behavioral issues.
- Belo Tours 2022-2023 Brochure
- AFS-USA Student Travel Waiver for Belo USA Travel 2023
- AFS Student Information and Agreement
- AFS Parent Authorization
Volunteer Chaperone Eligibility
The primary responsibility of a Belo USA Travel Chaperone is the welfare of participants traveling on a Belo USA Travel bus tour to destinations in the United States. In addition, the Chaperone is an official representative of AFS-USA. The Chaperone will meet participants at the beginning of a specific bus tour and will participate in the arrival orientation presented by Belo USA Travel staff.
Other Chaperone requirements include:
- Being 25 years old as of February 1, 2023.
- Being a registered AFS-USA Volunteer, with at least two (2) consecutive years actively volunteering at the time of application. Volunteers are involved with a local Chapter/Team and/or at a national level which may include orientations, working with students, liaisons, team/national leadership roles, advisory groups, and/or committees.
- Applicants' compliance with AFS-USA standards, policies, and procedures and Department of State regulations, as applicable, will be considered in the selection process.
- Agreement to fully comply with all mandatory training sessions.
- Ability to assist students with their luggage, if needed.
- Preferred experience as a chaperone or group leader.
- Having organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Being flexible and open to new experiences.
How to apply
Chaperone Application information is coming soon!