Belo USA is a travel operator based in Chicago specializing in cultural and educational tours for international exchange students. Belo USA has offered these opportunities to AFS-USA and other exchange organizations for more than 20 years. Belo USA has designed trips specifically for AFS-USA students. Belo USA has a great appreciation for the AFS-USA mission and the desire for our students to participate in activities that align with AFS-USA values. All trips will be chaperoned by Belo USA staff and an AFS-USA volunteer/staff depending upon availability.
2024 Belo Trip Offerings for AFS-USA students:
- Hawaii Expedition: February 10 - 17, March 9 - 16, March 23 - 30
- New York City: April 13 - 17
- NYC, Philadelphia, and Washington DC: April 13 - 20
- California Adventure: March 16 – 23
AFS-USA Independent Travel Policy regarding Belo USA:
- Students must submit the Belo Student Information and Agreement form to Belo before they can sign up for a trip.
- On the Belo Student Information and Agreement form, student travel must be approved by the host parent(s), sending parent(s), the host school (if any school will be missed), and the local Support Coordinator (listed as the authorized official on the form). There are signature spots for all required parties on the Belo Student Information and Agreement form below.
- A travel waiver will be required for all Belo trips. This acts as permission from AFS-USA. The form will be included in the required Belo paperwork, listed as the AFS-USA student travel waiver below. This is submitted to Belo first, and Belo will then share it with AFS-USA. Volunteers do not need to reach out to their Regional Travel & Logistics Specialist to process anything separately as normal travel requests would require.
- Students should not purchase tickets until approval has been obtained from all designated parties.
- Students can miss up to 5 days of school to travel on a Belo USA bus tour (upon receiving approvals as indicated above).
- Host siblings are permitted to join the trips if they are 16 years of age or older.
- Lastly, Belo USA is solely responsible for all refund requests. AFS-USA has no control over refund requests and will not provide input regarding Belo USA refund policies or requests.
Student Travel Required Forms
- AFS-USA and Belo USA require specific forms to be completed for any students interested in participating in Belo USA Travel tours. Before registering for a tour, Belo requests the Belo Parental Authorization form, the AFS Student Information Agreement, and the AFS-USA Student Travel Waiver for Belo USA on behalf of AFS (our internal waiver). Travel with Belo may be denied on an individual basis if it is not in the best interest of the student to participate at that time. Examples for denial include conflict with host family plans, AFS obligations, school requirements, or a student having adjustment or behavioral issues.
- Belo Tours 2023-2024 Brochure
- Belo Tours AFS Calendar One Pager
- AFS-USA Student Travel Waiver for Belo USA Travel 2024
- Belo Student Information and Agreement
- Belo Parental Authorization
AFS Volunteer Chaperone Eligibility
The primary responsibility of a Belo USA Travel Chaperone is the welfare of participants traveling on a Belo USA Travel bus tour to destinations in the United States. In addition, the Chaperone is an official representative of AFS-USA. The Chaperone will meet participants at the beginning of a specific bus tour and will participate in the arrival orientation presented by Belo USA Travel staff.
Other Chaperone requirements include:
- Being 25 years old as of February 1, 2024.
- Being a registered AFS-USA Volunteer, with at least two (2) consecutive years actively volunteering at the time of application. Volunteers are involved with a local Chapter/Team and/or at a national level which may include orientations, working with students, liaisons, team/national leadership roles, advisory groups, and/or committees.
- Applicants' compliance with AFS-USA standards, policies, and procedures and Department of State regulations, as applicable, will be considered in the selection process.
- Agreement to fully comply with all mandatory training sessions.
- Ability to assist students with their luggage, if needed.
- Preferred experience as a chaperone or group leader.
- Having organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Being flexible and open to new experiences.
We are pleased to offer this special opportunity to our students. If you have any questions about the Belo programs, please contact Belo USA at 1-877-BELOUSA or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For AFS-specific travel and program policies, please contact a member of the Travel Team at