Some students will need to return home prior to the end of the program for various reasons (ie: school exams, family wedding, etc). A personal early return (PRTN) is where a participant leaves the program early and flies directly home on the same day.
The PRTN request process can be completed in two ways:
- A host family/participant will let their volunteer liaison know that the participant would like to leave before the program end date.
- The volunteer will advise the host family/participant to have the participant contact their sending family/partner office to begin the process of confirming a personal early return.
Upon receipt of the request from the partner office (via the support module), AFS USA Travel and Logistic staff will contact volunteer to confirm PRTN request.
- AFS Partner country will contact AFS-USA with a request from the sending family for a Personal Early Return.
- AFS-USA staff member will contact the local volunteer to confirm PRTN request.
AFS Partner country will assist in changing the international ticket and have the sending parents sign a PRTN form.
Note: AFS USA staff are no longer initiating PRTN requests for hosted students. Our AFS partners are responsible for changing the international ticket and having the sending parents sign a PR form. The deadline for requesting a program release for NH22 is May 1, 2023. AFS Partners have been advised of this deadline.
What a Personal Early Return will entail
AFS Partner staff are responsible for updating the travel information in GL. This includes a new international e-ticket. Most partner offices will also email this information directly to the student. AFS USA Travel and Logistics staff will also email a copy of the ticket to the student/host family with the following reminders:
- Student is off program as of xxx date.
- Medical insurance is in effect until the student lands in their home country.
- The students/Sending Parents are responsible for any fees associated with changing the international ticket (this varies based on country/airline).
- They are responsible for scheduling/paying for required COVID testing.
- The student does not receive any transit assistance.
- The student/sending parents are responsible for booking and paying for the domestic travel to the departure airport.
For a Personal Early Return, the student must leave the country immediately on the agreed upon date. AFS-USA is required by the Department of State to report the student’s adjusted program end date in SEVIS. Students who do not successfully complete their programs are not entitled to the post- completion 30-day grace period.
As a reminder, the planned program date can be found on the service case/placement info tab within the “late traveler date range” field. Please refer to this article.
If you have any questions regarding the process for a PRTN, please contact us at email@example.com.