Many students will need to return home prior to the end of the program for numerous reasons (ie: family wedding, vacation, school exams). This request may come in one of two ways. The student may let their liaison and host family know and the volunteer will in turn contact the office. Or, the student’s natural family will contact the AFS home office who will in turn contact us, and we in turn will contact the volunteers and/or host family. Either way is fine.
1. A student tells you, the volunteer, they want to return home early
2. Contact your Regional Travel and Logistics Coordinator(RTLC) with the student’s name, country and the expected date/reason for the return
3. The RTLC will contact the sending AFS country
4. The sending AFS country will contact the natural parents, assist in making the travel arrangements, and have them sign a release form
What a Personal Early Return will entail
- The students/natural parents are responsible for any fees associated with changing the international ticket (this varies based on country/airline)
- The student/natural parents are responsible for booking and paying for the domestic travel to the gateway city. The student may contact AFS Travel to purchase their domestic ticket
- The student will not receive transit assistance at the gateway city
- Medical insurance is in effect until the student lands in their home country
Upon request for a personal early return, the student must leave the country immediately. AFS-USA is required by the Department of State to report the student’s adjusted program end date in SEVIS. Students who do not successfully complete their programs are not entitled to the post-completion 30-day grace period.