In honor of AFS-USA’s 75th Anniversary and to celebrate May 2023 as AFS-USA Community Appreciation month, the AFS Community Changemaker Award is being launched March 20, 2023!
The focus of the awards will be to celebrate community members, leaders, or groups that support AFS and our mission in their local community. AFS-USA Teams will nominate a person, community member, group, organization, or company. AFS-USA will select the winners and create an award for the Volunteer or AFS Team to present to the awardee that they nominated. AFS-USA will also promote winners nationally and in their communities.
Click here to watch AFS-USA President Tara Hofmann announce the creation of this award!
- The focus of this award is to celebrate the communities and their members that support AFS; thus, nominees cannot be part of the “AFS Family.” Volunteers, Host Families, Sending Families, and people affiliated with an AFS School (Teacher, Principal, School Board, etc.) are not eligible for this award.
- Nominees should be a person or group outside of AFS that works to support the Area Team, Chapter, Sponsored Program Cluster, and/or mission of AFS locally in their community. Examples of possible nominees include:
- A community group or organization that hosts events for students or the local AFS Team, such as (but not limited to) Sponsored Program (SP) cluster enrichment activities, fundraising activities, etc.;
- A person or group that helps to foster Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access (IDEA) for your AFS Team. For example, a cultural group/organization you may partner with or the sign language interpreter(s) who provides services for orientations;
- A group that provides space/resources to AFS to host events;
- Local government representatives; and
- A person who donates their time or services to the local AFS team (not an AFS-USA Volunteer).
Nomination Process and Schedule
- The nomination process will start the week of March 20th with the introduction of the award at the 2023 ECA Programs Workshop.
- Volunteers can submit their nominations via this brief online nomination form.
- The form takes an estimated five-to-ten minutes to complete.
- The nomination process will close on April 5, 2023.
- You will be notified in April if your nominee wins to provide you time to prepare how to present the award to your winner.
- We will publicly announce the winners in May in conjunction with May 2023 being AFS Community Appreciation Month!
- Awards will be mailed to Volunteers, and we ask that a Volunteer or the AFS Team present the award to the winner and capture the moment, either via photo or video.
- AFS-USA will promote winners and they will be publicized on social media and in other public-facing ways. We will also submit a press release to local news media.
Volunteers can submit their nominations via this brief online nomination form. Questions about the Community Changemaker Award can be directed to email@example.com.