The Young Adult Volunteer Advisory Group (YAV) supports the strategic priorities of AFS-USA as they relate to volunteer engagement for volunteers ages 21-32.
The objectives of the Young Adult Volunteer Advisory Group are to provide input and feedback to proposals and to evaluate and make recommendations for improvement regarding the following:
- Engagement of young adult* and Youth Ambassador** volunteers at AFS including:
- The identification, improvement, and development of volunteer roles, opportunities, and events suitable for younger volunteers
- The recruitment and retention process of young adult volunteers, for however long they wish to volunteer
- Ensuring younger volunteers are welcomed and integrated into their area team
- Preparing for the future of AFS
- Ensuring younger volunteers feel their interests and visions for the future of AFS are represented
- Ensuring younger volunteers are able to observe leadership roles and network with other AFS volunteers, to foster future interest in leadership at AFS
- Assisting with the running of the Youth Ambassador Sustainability Project***
- Other issues related to young adult and Youth Ambassador volunteers, as appropriate
*A young adult volunteer is defined as any volunteer aged 21-32
**A Youth Ambassador is defined as any volunteer aged 15-21
***The Youth Ambassador Sustainability Project is a sustainability initiative that Youth Ambassadors can apply to participate in.
Additionally, members of this advisory group will collaborate with other AFS advisory groups to provide feedback and help generate ideas from the young adult volunteer perspective. As appropriate, members of this Advisory Group will communicate with other young adult and Youth Ambassador volunteers to receive or solicit feedback regarding the above topics. They can also bring new topics of discussion to the group that endeavor to move the organization towards meeting the goal of deeper, mutually beneficial and non-transactional relationships among AFS-USA volunteers of all ages and staff.
What is the composition of the Young Adult Volunteer Advisory Group?
The Young Adult Volunteer Advisory Group consists of both volunteers and staff members and will be chaired by a volunteer and supported by Annelise Depman. Volunteer representation will consist of volunteers from multiple geographical regions as well as represent diverse groups of individuals in line with AFS-USA’s goals for inclusion, diversity, equity and access.
Please note that a prerequisite of participation is being between the ages of 21-32 and being a currently registered AFS volunteer. The ideal volunteer will have an interest in volunteer engagement and be sufficiently knowledgeable of AFS processes and systems to be able to contribute in a meaningful way to the group’s work.
How can I get involved?
- To indicate interest in serving as a volunteer on the national level, please complete the National Council Committee and Advisory Group interest form here.