Create AFS awareness in the community!
Do you want to... Improve global awareness? Inspire learning? Start life-long habits of readership, community participation and learning?
Create and care for a library book box and introduce your neighbors and local youth to the world by including literature focused on global issues as well as AFS volunteering and participation opportunities. You can even include AFS marketing materials in your library book box, along with the books, so you can build bonds of friendship with other AFS volunteers and even bring new members into the fold.
How to make this happen:
Do you like to work with tools? Are books your passion? Are you looking for ways to share intercultural education?
- Create an Library box task force. Invite your AFS team members, friends, and neighbors to work with you.
- Plan your team’s project and begin working on it (build the library, order marketing materials, obtain books to place inside etc).
- Watch the community embrace your labors of love.
Who can help?
- AFS volunteers already in the team, new volunteers looking to get engaged, your circle of connections and friends that may join in the project, etc.
- Decide on the people that will be needed to participate in this project, and what skills or interests they can bring. Then, reach out to invite other AFS team members and friends and neighbors to participate.
- The Volunteer members will set the pace of this project, but it will likely take about 6 to 8 weeks once the team starts.
- AFS Stakeholder Engagement staff will help and support you with info, resources, and inspiration. Just add your creativity!
Next Steps & Resources:
- Get practical tips and inspiration from Little Free Library. Official registration with Little Free Library is optional and costs a fee.
- Order bookmarks, flyers, and stickers to place in your library box here.
- Pull a contact list of all the volunteers and host families in your team to see who's interested in participating. If you need assistance with this, please email: AskAFS@afsusa.org
- You can share the project once completed on Workplace and team social media pages, by contacting the local newspaper for community awareness etc. For tips on how to create an effective social media post, please click here.