Student and Family Contacts & Visits
- Liaisons must contact their host student at least once a month by phone or in person, and document that contact in Global Link. The first contact with the host student must be in person.
- The host family’s monthly contact must be in person once in the fall (prior to January 1) and once in the spring (after January 1 - for host students arriving in August/September who are on the academic year program).
- A volunteer, other than the person who interviewed the host family must visit the home within 30 days for a welcome placement and within 60 days for a permanent placement. If the liaison is NOT the person that interviewed the host family, then the liaison will be able to conduct this visit. If a host student remains in a welcome placement beyond one month, a volunteer must visit the host family home every month until the host student moves to a permanent placement.
School Contacts & Visits
- AFS expects liaisons to contact the schools three times (once between September-November, once in December-February, once in March-May) for year program host students and two times for semester host students.
- If the school hosts more than one AFS host student, it is recommended that the team/chapter identifies one volunteer (this could be a Liaison, Liaison Coordinator, Associate Support Coordinator, Support Coordinator, etc.) to contact the school about all the AFS host students in the school.