Student and Family Contacts & Visits
- Liaisons must contact their host student at least once a month by phone or in person, and document that contact in Global Link. The first contact with the host student must be in person.
- AFS requires that at least two of the monthly contacts be made in the host family's home. Once in the fall and once in the spring (for host students arriving in August/September who are on the academic year program)
- A volunteer, other than the person who interviewed the host family must visit the home within 30 days for a welcome placement and within 60 days for a permanent placement. If the liaison is NOT the person that interviewed the host family, then the liaison will be able to conduct this visit. If a host student remains in a welcome placement beyond one month, a volunteer must visit the host family home every month until the host student moves to a permanent placement
School Contacts & Visits
- AFS expects liaisons to contact the schools three times (once between September-November, once in December-February, once in March-May) for year program host students and two times for semester host students
- If the school hosts more than one AFS host student, it is recommended that the team/chapter identifies one volunteer (this could be a Liaison, Liaison Coordinator, Associate Support Coordinator, Support Coordinator, etc.) to contact the school about all the AFS host students in the school