The National Council Communications Committee exists to support communications between the National Council and AFS-USA volunteers. The Communications Committee will inform volunteers on National Council news and initiatives, including annual AFS Summit information and national volunteer opportunities, through MyAFS News articles, Help & Learning listings, Workplace postings, and other communication channels as necessary to effectively disseminate the information. The Communications Committee will promote and encourage ongoing dialogue between volunteers and the National Council to ensure that the volunteer voice is heard on important issues as the National Council works to move the organizational priorities forward.
The Communications Committee collaborates with the different groups making up the National Council, including the National Council Steering Committee, other National Council committees, and Advisory Groups.
The Communications Committee is responsible for the following tasks:
- Maintain updated information on Help & Learning relating to the National Council, National Council Committees, and Advisory Groups.
- Share regular updates on MyAFS News regarding National Council work and initiatives.
- Support National Council AFS Summit communications.
- Share relevant National Council information to new AFS Workplace groups.
- Assist with presentation content and messages when the National Council is represented at conferences or other AFS gatherings.
- Represent the National Council on other social media platforms such as the National Council Facebook page.
- Provide the platform by which volunteers can provide input and feedback directly to the National Council.
The National Council Communications Committee is comprised of AFS-USA volunteers and staff and is accountable to the National Council Volunteer and Staff Co-Chairs. The Communications Committee Chair will also serve on the National Council Steering Committee.
The Communications Committee is a newly-formed committee and is currently working to recruit additional members. Fully formed, the Communications Committee will consist of 6 members.
Current Communications Committee members:
- Rebecca Cartier (Dallas Area Team)
- Debra Bryda (Northeast Ohio Area Team)
- Jennifer Grace (Silver and Gold Area Team)
- Joanne Yokoyama-Martin (Columbia Pacific Area Team)
- Melvin Harmon (Chief Marketing, Customer Experience, and Strategic Advancement Officer)
On average, 4-6 hours of time commitment per month is required, though more time may be required in the weeks preceding the annual AFS Summit. Committee members are asked to attend monthly conference calls, participate in regular email correspondence, and work in partnership and/or independently as needed to coordinate and advance the work of the committee.
- Committee members serve a two-year term, with the option of renewing for a second term.
- The Communications Committee Chair will be selected by the National Council Steering Committee Volunteer and Staff Co-Chairs and will be asked to serve a two-year term.
To indicate interest in serving as a volunteer on the national level, please complete the National Council Committee and Advisory Group interest form here.