Here you will find a helpful cheat sheet for volunteers to better understand the role of each of their staff people. You can find who the specific individual contacts are for your team in the Team Directory widget on MyAFS.
Who Do I Contact?
Below you will find a brief description of the most frequently-contacted staff roles at AFS-USA. If you are unsure of who to contact, no problem! Just send an email to AskAFS@afsusa.org, and we will make sure your message gets to the correct person.
Volunteer Services Specialists (VSS)
- Handles AFS volunteer issues not related to student support, hosting, or study abroad
- Volunteer registration and integration contact
- Orientation or event planning
- One VSS per region
Hosting Programs Specialists (HPS)
- Engages volunteers to identify and screen families for hosted students before students arrive
- Works with volunteers to identify families for hosted students if they need to move while on program
- Builds community and school relationships
- Three HPS per region
Study Abroad Field Specialists (SAFS)
- Promote AFS's vast array of study abroad
- Engages volunteers in working with and interviewing parents and students interested in study abroad
- Three SAFS nationally
Regional Directors (RD)
- Establish a strategic vision and a work plan for managing and developing their assigned region
- Maintain the health of the volunteer base in their regions
- Keep in regular contact with volunteer leaders.
- Manage the VSS, HPS, and SAFS in the region
- One RD per region
Organizational Development Specialists (ODS)
- Strengthen teams and plan for the future
- Each ODS works with two regions
Sponsored Programs Hosting Specialists (SPHS)
- Work directly with volunteers, especially Sponsored Programs Cluster Coordinators, to promote and place our inbound Sponsored Program students.
- Each SPHS works with three regions
Participant Support Specialists (PSS)
- Work directly with volunteer Support Coordinators, Associate Support Coordinators, and Liaisons
- Questions, concerns issues when students are on program
- Some Area Teams have a different PSS for Hosting students and Study Abroad students.
Study Abroad Specialists (SAS)
- Work directly with students/parents interested in study abroad
- Selecting an appropriate program
- Completing the application process
Regional Travel and Logistics Coordinators (RTLC)
- Work directly with volunteers to process Travel Waivers, Parental Permission forms, and Program Releases
- Sign DS 2019s for Hosted Students
- Arrange travel for Early Returns
- Coordinate Arrival and Departure events
- Two RTLCs nationally
- Work directly with Treasurers on all Field Finance issues
- Area Team/Chapter financial reporting
- Reimbursements for volunteers
- Vendor payments
- Opening/closing bank accounts
- Obtaining Certificates of Insurance