Here you find a variety of additional resources for use with Host Families.
- Talking to Kids about the Corona Virus
- Talking with Children about Coronavirus Disease 2019
- Helping Children Cope with Changes due to COVID-19
- Virtual Interview with Dr. Michael Leidecker
- COVID-19 Virtual Studies Resources for Parents
The video below is a virtual interview with Dr. Michael Leidecker, former AFS staff and current Mental Health Consultant, offering his expertise on the following questions:
- The word grief is often being associated with current world events; how does this apply here?
- What steps can host families take to help them process the sudden departure of their student?
- Understanding that the student’s abrupt departure also takes a toll on other family members, what advice can you share to help host parents navigate discussing their student’s sudden departure with their children?
- Recognizing that some host parents likely still feel connected to their host students, can you off some suggestions for how host parents might go about offering support to their hosted students from afar?
- Lastly, no one knows for sure how long this pandemic will continue, and the idea of not knowing can be challenging to wrestle with. What strategies can you offer to help host families cope with the uncertainty and ambiguity moving forward?