Yes, the AFS Network plans to implement our exchange programs in the 2020-21 Academic Year as does AFS-USA, but we are prepared to change course should world events determine otherwise.
AFS International has established organizational criteria that must be met before any students can embark on a physical exchange. In the case of the US, within these criteria, the viability of placements will be determined on a state by state, rather than on a national, basis. We anticipate receiving approval from AFS International to host no less than 30 days before the planned arrival dates.
These criteria include:
- The current state of the outbreak in each state where we have hosting placements using data about positive testing numbers.
- Governmental and medical infrastructure for dealing with the current case numbers.
- Immigration and visa issues.
- Airline restrictions.
- Status of schools.
- Social/ daily life implications.
- Host family capacity.
- AFS support capabilities.
Because of the constantly changing global environment resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic, this coming year will require a heightened level of adaptability, comfort with uncertainty, and patience from all of us.