What is the Global Family Tools Platform?
It is a resource for Host Families that will enhance their hosting experience and allow them to easily access information on computers and mobile devices.
Host Families can access:
- Information specific to their student.
- Contact information for their liaison, school, etc.
- All emails sent by Staff and Volunteers via Global Link.
- An array of information on topics from safety to travel guidelines and lots of helpful cultural activities.
The platform was developed by AFS International in 2021, and AFS-USA is customizing it to suit our needs. It will be enhanced with new content and features as new iterations are released.
Click here to check out a short video introducing the Global Family Tools platform.
Note: It is not an app that can be found in an app store but the site can be added as a shortcut to mobile devices. Even if the shortcut is not added the site is mobile friendly when opening it in a browser on a mobile device.
What are the objectives of the Global Family Tools Platform?
- Improve Host Family satisfaction with access to information & support.
- Increase Host Family knowledge by increasing the utilization of existing resources.
- Make materials more practical & ready to use.
- Eventually replace the Host Family Handbook.
- Improve diversity and inclusivity within materials.
Who has access to the Global Family Tools Platform?
Host Families who are fully screened (Selection status =A), Volunteers, and Staff all have access to the tool.
- This allows all users to see what Host Families see, except for individualized content unique to each family in the My Program & Messages sections. If you are not hosting, you will not see any content in the ‘My Program’ section, and emails from your own GL contact log will show in the Messages section.
- All users login via this site. Volunteers and Staff log in using their MyAFS/Global Link Username and Password, and Host Families login using the same Username and Password used to log into their Host Family Application. A link to the GFT can also be found by volunteers in the left-hand navigation column of MyAFS. The GFT will open automatically when clicking that link.
Select Staff will have access to edit content.
How can I help promote the Global Family Tools Platform?
You can help us get others excited about using the tool:
- Talk it up during Team meetings and events, as well as Host Family interviews.
- Encourage others to watch this short video introducing the tool.
- Help host families add the tool as a shortcut on their mobile devices using this guide
- Introduce the tool when orienting Host Families. For example, the 2021 Pre-Arrival Host Family Orientation PowerPoint includes information about the Global Family Tools platform
- Share articles from the Host Family Handbook and Our Learnings sections with host families throughout the year.
Who should I contact if I find technical issues or want to provide feedback on the GFT?
Please email AskAFS@afsusa.org with the details of any technical issues or feedback.
Instructional Guides & FAQs
How to email host families via Global Link:
More coming soon!