Welcome to the International Diners Club!
- This Month's Menu Spotlight & Call Registration Link
- What is the International Diners Club?
- How can I set up my own local International Diners Club?
- Menus from Europe
- Menus from Asia
- Menus from Africa
- Menus from South America
- Menus from Zealandia
- International Holiday Cookies Menu
- International Summer BBQ Menu
What is the International Diners Club?
During the pandemic, we all began asking ourselves what we can do to keep AFS members engaged. In response, one team created a virtual diners club—here’s how it works.
Each month you choose a country and set a menu including a starter, entrée, sides, and a dessert. The idea is to learn about the culture and styles of cooking around the world. All recipes are made from scratch, including doughs, pasta, sauces, fillings, etc. People can choose to make as few or as many as they have the time for before the monthly call.
Everyone takes pictures of the dishes, and family members that helped, etc. and if they like, they can share it all on Facebook or other social media sites, to build awareness of intercultural exchange and AFS. After, hop on a scheduled zoom call to discuss the experience and success of the dishes. On the call everyone votes on the next country, and it starts all over the following month.
How can I set up my own local International Diners Club?
Here are the steps you can take to start a club in your chapter, team, region or maybe just a group of friends.
- Pick a country from the International Diners Club section in Help & Learning.
- Select a date for the Zoom call.
- Create a Google Form for the registration.
- Create an email invite, including the link to the recipes and a link to register for the Zoom call.
- Check in once during the month to encourage participation. (Sign up if you haven’t, be sure to post pics on Facebook, invite a friend, etc.)
- 24-48 hours before the time for the call, send an email with the Zoom link for the call to the people that registered to join that call. (If you are experiencing limited attendance, consider sending a reminder email with the link the day of the call, a few hours before the meeting time, to ensure the Zoom link is at the top of their inbox.)
- When holding the call, you may want to use the menu as a discussion guide to move through the items, but once your group is more established you won’t feel the need to control the direction of the conversation.
- Be sure to vote on the next country before ending the call. You can set up a poll in Zoom with the choices listed so it feels more anonymous.
We'll be adding new countries' recipes each month, so check back soon! Click each link below to see the recipes and learn more about each country and its culinary practices and history.
This Month's Menu Spotlight:
- Register for the next International Diners Club Zoom call here!
Croatia is a country in the Baltics and has seen many invaders throughout its long
history. The food has influences from Hungary, Austria & Turkey from the
Austro-Hungarian Dynasty and the Ottoman Empire. You can also find some
Italian and Greek influences as well due to the close proximity.
Fun Facts about Croatia
- Croatia has been inhabited since the Paleolithic area.
- Before independence in 1991 from the Soviet Union, Croatia was part of
- Yugoslavia–meaning all Slovic people.
- Over a 1,000 islands are off the coast of Croatia
- Croatian cuisine is divided into coastal & inland dishes