Become a Global Citizen and join the Youth Ambassador movement!
Looking to develop your leadership skills and make a meaningful impact on your community, all while strengthening your resume and application materials? All AFS volunteers under 21 are called Youth Ambassadors, and now there is a leadership program for those young volunteers!
AFS-USA has successfully launched the Youth Ambassador Sustainability Project for young leaders ages 15-21 to attend a 4-week (online), 3-day (in-person) course of leadership training followed by the design and implementation of a community project.
The course includes but is not limited to:
- Creating a sustainable community impact project
- Leadership skills; visioning, delegation, organization, communication
- Building public awareness & recruitment
- Creating a timeline
- Social media and PR plan
- Fundraising basics
- Creating and presenting your presentation to a panel
Want to learn more? Check out this short video to meet some of the recent Youth Ambassadors.
The benefits of participating in AFS-USA’s Youth Ambassador Sustainability Project are innumerable. Participants will level up their resume with a leadership training certificate as well as a professional reference from their program mentor.
As a Youth Ambassador, you will also gain strong project management skills through designing and implementing a community project of your choice with support from peers and your program mentor. You will also become an active global citizen, working to make the world a more just and peaceful place. Perhaps most importantly, this is a great opportunity to make friends, both locally and nationally, as there will be many opportunities for Youth Ambassadors to collaborate during the program.
Hear from past Youth Ambassadors about the skills they gained through their Sustainability Projects, and their advice to future Youth Ambassadors in the following video:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs):
- What is the purpose of the Youth Ambassador Project?
- What does the Youth Ambassador Sustainability Project application process look like? Will I be automatically accepted into the program?
- Do I need to be a registered AFS-USA volunteer?
- I know someone who I think would be perfect for the program; can I nominate them or apply on their behalf?
- What kind of community project should I design? Are there any examples of former projects?
- How do I apply?
What is the purpose of the Youth Ambassador Project?
- To give young volunteers the chance to develop leadership skills
- To promote young volunteers to the local volunteer team
- To bring awareness of AFS to the local community
What does the Youth Ambassador Sustainability Project application process look like? Will I be automatically accepted into the program?
- All interested applicants will complete a google form application and virtual interview to express their interest in the program, which will be used to determine candidacy in the program.
Do I need to be a registered AFS-USA volunteer?
- Yes, all Youth Ambassadors must be registered AFS volunteers in order to participate in the program. The AFS volunteer registration process consists of: a short application, references, volunteer interview, and a background check if you are over 18.
- You must also be living in the U.S. in order to start the program. If you happen to be on your exchange currently you can sign up on the interest form so we connect with you once you are back
I know someone who I think would be perfect for the program; can I nominate them or apply on their behalf?
- Although you are welcome to encourage any Youth Ambassadors to apply, all application materials should come from the Youth Ambassador themselves.
What kind of community project should I design? Are there any examples of former projects?
- Your project will be determined by evaluating your local community needs and your own interest in the work.
- You should use the UN Sustainability goals as a guide for creating a project.
- Please click here to view examples of project ideas you could choose, based on the projects of prior Youth Ambassadors. Of course, you are welcome to create your own idea, but these ideas can give you some inspiration.
How do I apply?
- Sign up for updates with the YAP interest form so we have your contact info for the upcoming Fall 2022 class registration.