In this article, all volunteers can access the routine communication provided to the School Outreach Volunteers. This newsletter shares opportunities for volunteers to enhance their skills in working with schools as well as tips, tricks, and resources that can be sent directly to any educator/school regardless of a volunteer’s role with AFS. We hope you find this information helpful as we know many volunteers interact with schools so knowing how to set AFS apart from other organizations will continue to be important in those interactions.
Happy Holidays School Outreach Coordinators & AFS School Representatives!
November & December lend themselves to expressing gratitude. So, I encourage you and any of your hosted students and host parents to consider sharing a note of gratitude to ONE person at the school that has helped AFS opportunities be possible in that school!
*If you or your liaisons haven’t already done their school contact that is due this month, PLEASE consider dropping in at least one of the opportunities below in that email.*
If no one on your team has been nominated for a Global Educator or Global School Award, now is the time to make sure that someone is nominated before December 8, 2023. These finalists and winners become tremendous advocates for all things AFS in your community if they aren't already!
OPPORTUNITIES TO SHARE WITH SCHOOLS
AFS Global STEM Academies – Full Scholarships for Students
Intended Audience: High School Science, Engineering, Technology, Math, (STEM) teachers.
- Hi __________! Given your passion for STEM and making sure students have access to connect with your content area, I’m excited to share that AFS just announced that the summer 2024 AFS Global STEM Academies scholarship just opened on November 15, 2023 and they’re ready for your students’ applications! The AFS Global STEM Academies is a full-scholarship, STEM and sustainability-focused study abroad program for young, active global citizens who are energized to help solve some of today’s biggest global challenges. Scholars participating in the program will develop the skills needed to work in and advance a low-carbon energy system, while increasing their global awareness, interest in and understanding of the need for a sustainable and equitable energy future. Visit this website & share it with your students to learn about the program and how to apply! The application deadline is January 15, 2024. I hope to see some local students apply and earn a scholarship! Have a great rest of your week! ___
AFS Effect+ for the Classroom Scholarship
Intended Audience: High School teachers of any content area
- Hi __________! I wanted to reach out because Currently Hosted Student indicated that you are quite a dynamic teacher and are frequently asking questions about their culture. Therefore, I thought you would be a good fit for the AFS Effect+ for the Classroom Scholarship. This program provides educators from around the world a chance to earn their Global Competence Certificate, access resources about teaching the UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), and connect with educators from all over the world. The program last 6 weeks and applications are due on January 14, 2024. I hope you will consider this opportunity for yourself as you’ll earn a digital badge that showcases just how respectful you are to other cultures as _____ has noted already this year. Please let me know if you have any questions or feel free to apply today if this interests you! Have a great rest of your week and thank you for all that you are doing for our AFS students at _______ High School! Sincerely, _________
RECENT & UPCOMING SCHOOL COMMUNICATIONS
To assist you in recognizing and communicating with your local schools, we want to make sure you are aware of both recent and upcoming communications that AFS schools are receiving.
- International Education Week (Nov. 13-18) – Took place and our AFS students did a great job sharing about their countries and cultures. Now is the perfect time to say thank you to the school staff members who supported those presentations. If you have not yet seen U.S. Secretary of Education, Miguel Cardona’s, message for International Education Week, I HIGHLY encourage you to spend 3 minutes and watch it.
Did you know…?
- Outstanding educators and schools can be nominated for the 2024 AFS-USA Global Educator and Global School Awards. The winners receive their plaque when they travel to Alexandria, Virginia in March 2024 when they attend the annual ECA conference and learn with AFS volunteers and staff! The finalists for both awards receive a beautiful plaque and a certificate valid for themselves or a colleague to earn their Global Competence Certificate for free! (A $349 value!) Nominations are due on December 8, 2023!!
- Last year, we had the great fortune to share an amazing short program in Germany with educators and students. The program was subsidized so students only had to pay $900 for their two-week program. Because it was a first come, first served opportunity, I am hoping that in January, you’ll be able to send a similar note with high priority to German teachers in your area. Let this be your heads up that this could be an opportunity to share quickly in the new year!
Given the season of the holidays, I would suggest that any messages you send to share an opportunity or resource, make sure it is completed by December 8th to make sure that the teachers still have time to share it with their students before school lets out for winter break. Please remember to do what you can and what your schedule allows. Also, don’t ever forget that just because you didn’t get a response doesn’t mean that the teacher ignored your message. They may have signed up for something or shared something with their students!
Jill Woerner, Sarah Radermacher, Evelyn Jackson, Cynthia Iliff, & Micki Barreto